Monday, July 12, 2010

Stonehill Six, Stonehill Seven...

Hey there folks!

We are back to orientation after a short break in posting. I'll promise I'll wrap this up soon and there'll be plenty more to tell about my vacation and a wedding in the family.

But let's get back to Orientation Session 2.

I awoke early yet again on Thursday morning. I finally began to feel the effects of orientation. My voice was hoarse and my throat was throbbing. But this was a special opening: I was assigned to an entrance!

The entrance, in my opinion, is the best assignment for PM's on the first day. You are the first person to see them as they drive into campus. We try to be as energetic and ridiculous as possible while, inevitably, the incoming freshman cower in the back as their mom or dad honks the horn at our signs.

I was posted at the Route 123 entrance. So I grabbed a vuvuzela (those annoying horns from the World Cup) and a sign ("Honk if you're awkward!") and made my way to the entrance with the rest of the crew.

We got some great reactions from both incoming students and Stonehill staff alike. But soon the time came to head back to the Sports Complex and do our famous run-in and cheer! It was weird to know it would be the last time I'd ever do it, but armed with my whistle and cowbell I knew at least it wouldn't be half-hearted.

We met our group soon after and began, once again, all that is orientation. It was another beautiful-yet slightly hotter-day so we moved some games inside and made sure to take a few more water breaks. We found that our group loved a game we had recently learned called Ninja. It's a pretty fun game and involves so bobbing and weaving. It was a perfect antidote for the usual early awkwardness.

At night, it was once again time for PlayFair. Nicole was lucky enough this time to be able to head to W.B. Mason Field early, while I made head-counts and made sure everyone got there on time. It turned into another beautiful night for my last PlayFair. It was our turn also to leave early, so just before the famed "Rock, Paper, Scissor Showdown" half the team had to leave their posts and help set up the Commons Activities. This included filling up cups of water for the thirty post-PlayFair students and getting the makeshift bingo hall ready for use.
The dance took on a special meaning for all the seniors. We made sure to dance throughout the night as much as we possibly could and enjoy being on the that stage one last time. Once "Piano Man" came on, there were very few dry eyes in the place. The seniors formed a smaller circle surrounded by a larger contingent of PM's and we swayed to the melody before eventually breaking up to find a partner to finish the song with.
It was at this time that the end of Orientation felt all too real. Only one more day was left...

No comments:

Post a Comment