Thursday, July 15, 2010

Stonehill Eight, Stonehill Nine...

The second day began with a whimper...

I was tired and getting sick, but still had one more day left. We woke up early once again to a breakfast of french toast and scrambled eggs. Soon after breakfast was done, we made sure the incoming students got right off to their advising meetings without delay as the PM's enjoyed the sun and caught up on the first day of Orientation. With the echo on "Piano Man" on our minds, we simply laid in the grass and waited for the half-hour to be over.

Once the meetings ended, the shuttling began. With rotation sessions once again filling the morning, we did little more than make sure everyone in our group got out. Once Dunkin Donuts opened, we had our fill of watermelon coolattas and iced coffees to get us through the day.

With lunch came burgers and salad, but also a surreal feeling that the end was sadly, close at hand. We went back into our groups for a final group time to reflect on the day and a half that was, play some final games, and say our goodbyes for the summer.

I took my mark on the steps of Donahue Hall and stood among the Peer Mentors welcoming the incoming class up the steps and to college life. A member of our group read in front of all a statement that encompassed the characteristics of our group and where we stand in the greater Stonehill community. I blew my vuvuzela, which by now had become a trademark in our group, and just like that, the students went home and our job was done.

We stood on the steps, took pictures, and hitched rides on golf carts back to the Commons for our wrap-up meeting. After the meeting, we all received our paper plates to make our "Paper Plate Awards" for our partner. Each year, we design and decorate paper plates to give our partner that highlight an certain aspect of their personality.

This year, I gave Nicole the "Ribbon 'round my Finger Award." For some reason that week, I simply lost everything that I had. From binders to books, bags to cowbells, she was the one who reminded me where everything was and made sure I didn't worry.

We presented our awards later that night at a banquet held in Alumni Hall. We are given a nice dinner and an ever nicer slideshow remembering the week that just passed. The night is filled with laughter and tears.

Around 7pm or so, every member of the Orientation team gets up and presents the paper plate award to their partner and says a little about what the experience has meant to them. These can go on for a loooonnnnngg while and this year was no exception. At around 12am and a venue change, we finally had all the team members say their peace. The hugs and goodbyes continued well into the night. Jeff and I were hungry so we decided to take a ride over to the Brockton Burger King for a little Whopper action. Though the sustenance couldn't mask my tiredness, I finally called it a night around 3am. I had to drive to Seaside Heights, NJ in the morning for a Bachelor Party and needed at least try and rest.

As I look back on Orientation, I realize it was the "First of My Lasts". The beginning of my closing chapter here at Stonehill. Never again will I experience the excitement of a Day One Breakfast in Cleary Dining Room, or the thrill of running into the Sports Complex yelling and screaming, or the pride at the end of the second day as the group ascends the Donahue Stairs. But I can say this: if this week and a half was any indication of my remaining time here, it is going to be one helluva year...

No comments:

Post a Comment