Sunday, August 1, 2010

Good Food, Good Weather, and E Street Radio...

Hey folks,

The title says it all. It is the story of my vacation.

We started out Friday morning. My parents came and got me at Stonehill, pulling up in a grey Chevy Malibu. I instinctively piled in the backseat, ready to relax with my earbuds and a fully-charged iPod. Then my mom dropped the A-bomb:

"You're driving."
"Oh, C'mon!"
"We got satellite radio..."

Done.

You may or may not know that my one of my favorite things in this world is XM/Sirius radio. It is awesome. I am constantly amazed at all the options and, of course, the all Bruce station E Street Radio. We don't have it in any of our cars, so whenever I get a chance to use it, I jump at it!

There I was, rolling down Route 6 blasting "Badlands" and ready to start my vacation. We got into our hotel around 4 and I took the liberty to plop myself down on the bed for a much-needed nap.

Upon waking, I hazily turned to A&E for the Criminal Minds marathon. Before I was able to get too invested in Hotch and the team, my mother hurried me along to get ready for dinner. The Lobster Claw in Orleans awaited the hungry Gormans.

As we took our seat in booths that made a school bus seat feel comfortable, I promptly ordered and soon devoured the swordfish and a side of scallops. After we were done, we stopped over at the Eastham Post Office to mail the postcard that was given with our check and spied a Christmas Tree Shop. A good hour and fifteen minutes later, we were finally out of the store and on our way to the next stop of the night: a Cape Cod League Baseball game!

I love going to Cape League games. Unfortunately, the real MLB names like the Mets, Athletics, and Cardinals have been replaced by the likes of the Harbor Hawks, Anglers, and Firebirds. You still get to see some great players and just enjoy a cool summer evening. We stayed in Orleans for a home game, dodging rain drops as we sat in our lawn chairs.

We left the game a tad early and cruised around Route 28 for a bit. I stopped at a store that smelled like old incense and browsed the selection of Springsteen posters and Dylan records. In the end, as is the sign of a great night, we ended up at an ice cream shop next to our hotel.

The next morning came quite quickly as we caught the mid-morning ferry to Nantucket. I had never been before, so I did not know what to make of the farthest point in the eastern U.S. My parents and I browsed the shops and side-streets and stopped into the likes of Vineyard Vines, Murray's Toggery, and the Black Dog. After our walking, we crashed near the docks and ordered drinks and appetizers at a local restaurant.

To escape the heat, we booked tickets aboard a tour bus so that we could get a better sense of the island. The bus took us all around and we were able to see Sankaty Light-the island's lighthouse and tried to decipher an incredibly convoluted story on the island's origin. Upon disembarking on our tourist-infested adventure, we walked over to American Seasons, our restaurant for dinner.

The ambiance was really something. It felt like we were eating in a garden terrace. Our family, as usual, did not disappoint when it came time to order, as we shared two appetizers as I dove right into the flat-iron steak.

With our ferry approaching and our time on the island finished, we got ready for day of travel and family. By early afternoon, we were on the road once again. This time heading to Narragansett, R.I. to visit my cousins and my uncle and aunt who flew up from Florida. Momentarily pausing from the Bruce-tunes, we heard on the radio that a 2 mile back-up awaited us on the Sagamore. Upon conferring with a trusty Cape sherpa, we were instructed to find a mysterious "service road" that may or may not end at Hogwarts. Pressing on, we found the traffic report to be...totally false! Maintaining 65 the whole way, we made it across the Pell and Jamestown bridges and into Narragansett in short order.

Arriving at the house, we were greeted by my Aunt Eileen and my Uncles Joe and John as well as their kids, my cousins Joey and Erin, with her husband Greg. Of course, I can't forget Joey's son A.J. and Erin's daughter Isabella. We caught up with each other and stayed late into the night eating and drinking. With the little ones running around, it was also anything but boring. It was really great to see them all.

And with that, my vacation was complete. We drove the sad drive back to Easton on Monday morning and I prepared myself for work the next day. All in all, the three ingredients above made for one heck of a vacation.

Coming soon: a brand new YouTube video and wedding bells in the family...

Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment